Registering with the Injured Patients and Families Compensation Fund

All physicians in Wisconsin are required to register with the Injured Patients and Families Compensation.  If you are newly licensed in Wisconsin, you will receive a letter notifying you of the obligation to register.  If you are moving from one job to another within Wisconsin, you will not receive a reminder but are required to update your registration.  As a UW employee you are EXEMPT and must register as such.

To register click here:

From here you should:

  1. Enter your name or WI license number.
  2. Click on your name hyperlinked below.
  3. Click on the “Online Exemption Form” button
  4. Under exemptions:
    1. Enter their UWSMPH start date, and
    2. Select Exemption #2 – I am employed by the State, a county, or municipality
  5. If you are coming to UW from other employment in Wisconsin, and there is a gap of any amount of time between termination of your prior job and starting your UW job you also need to enter
    1. The start and end dates during which they were not practicing
    2. Select Exemption #7 – “I did not practice in Wisconsin for these effective dates.”